Patient Care Access Specialist
Men’s Health Foundation connects men at risk to comprehensive healthcare and wellness through education, collaboration and advocacy, inspiring and empowering all men to live longer, healthier and happier lives. We see a world where inequity and stigma do not separate men from healthcare. At Men’s Health Foundation we are re-imagining men’s healthcare.
Friendly, motivated, experienced customer service individual to serve as a Medical Patient Access Specialist position. The person will be responsible for heavy phone volume and assisting patient and physician office staff in scheduling appointments using a computerized scheduling system in a Call Center environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
- Answer high volume calls, directing to appropriate individuals or departments via phone or email.
- Ensure accurate and timely screening and scheduling of all patients.
- Schedule appointments accurately maximizing practitioners’ time and making sure that the patient is placed in the appropriate appointment template for their medical needs or request.
- Handle incoming patient telephone calls, messages & schedule appointments, and provides accurate information to patients. Observe positive customer service standards at all times in dealing with patients.
- Defuse and handle difficult patient interactions, answer questions, and respond to complaints professionally and provide resolution.
- Check insurance eligibility and demonstrate knowledge of contracted insurance plans
- Set up new charts, file and fax requested information according to procedures and processes
- Answer questions regarding clinic services and appointment related information; direct unrelated questions to appropriate staff via email
- Confirm or cancel appointments in accordance with Clinic policies and processes
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- High School diploma or the equivalent. Graduation from a medical reception or billing program preferred.
- Ability to maintain composure when confronted with fast-paced and stressful situations.
- Pleasant positive attitude, a professional appearance, and a willingness to assign high priority to patient comfort and satisfaction.
- Demonstrate accuracy, timeliness, and attention to detail and must strive for continuous improvement.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of EMR applications desirable.
- Experience working with LGBTQ community a plus.
- Experience working with Men’s health a plus.
- Experience working with HIV prevention a plus.
- Must be able to pass a background check to include a 7-year criminal, 10-year SSN & employer history reference check.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be able to work flexible schedules.
Must be able to read, write and speak the English language fluently. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public in person.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as dollar totals, monetary conversions, discounts, interest, fractions, decimals, percentages, area, and volume.
Ability to solve technical and practical problems and deal with a variety of intangibles in situations where only limited communication, support, information and access exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must be have good computer skills and be proficient in the use of systems to complete correspondence, documents, spreadsheets and presentations, such as Microsoft Outlook and Office; Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee may be required to climb ladders or stairs, be in high spaces, and/or balance, stop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to outside weather conditions although most of the time is in an office environment, work station, shared space. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally moderate with occasional high volume.